Saturday 26 March 2011

Russian Borscht




The mennonite in me has come out for the evening.  I love borscht, I have used another recipe for awhile but had no idea what the nutritional value was of it so I decided to try this recipe.  I would use broth instead of just water. I tried with just water and it was a little bland, also I tried it right away and didnt care for it.  After I let it simmer for almost an hour and then sit with the lid on for over an hour it was delish!

Russian Borscht:
1 1/2 cups diced potatoe
1 cup sliced beets (I used 2 cups)
4 cups Veg stock or Water
2 Tablespoons butter (I used olive oil)
1 teaspoon caraway seed - optional - I didnt use
2 teaspoon salt
2 Celery Stock chopped
2 large carrot chopped
3 cups chopped red cabbage
black pepper to taste
Ok....it says 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill.  I used over a cup... its borscht...you need lots of dill!
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup tomato puree
sour cream for topping.


1.  Potatoes and Beets in broth, in a med saucepan, bring to boil and cook until soft.  Put aside.
2.  Melt butter in a large sauce pan over med heat. Stir in onions, carawat seeds and salt.  Cook until soft (5min) Then stir in carrots, celery and cabbage, Mix in the stock and cook for 10 mins with lid on.
3. Add beets, potatoes, dill weed, black pepper, cider vinegar, honey and tomato puree bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 30-60 mins.
4. Top with sour cream....I LOVE Borscht with sour cream, to bad Im trying to be healthy ;)

This makes 8 or so servings.  Per Serving with out sour cream: 128 Cals, 5g fat, 19g carbs, 3g protein, 3.7g fiber.

3 comments:

  1. You can use lowfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream. It tastes really good and has the same kind of flavor ... for next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might try this btw, but with rutabagas instead of potatoes. Mmmmmm .....

    ReplyDelete