Thursday, 7 July 2011
Greek CousCous Stuffed Peppers
A Delicious low calorie vegetarian main dish!
4 Bell peppers
1/2 Cup whole wheat couscous
1 can chickpeas
1 med onion - diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp sweet basil or oregano
1/2 cup feta
2 handfuls spinach
2 small tomatoes - diced
1. Cook CousCous as directed.
2. Cut Peppers in half and remove the seeds. Place in microwave safe dish cut side down. Add 1/2 inch water to dish and cook on high for 4-6 mins or until fully steamed and soft. Remove from microwave and let cool down.
3. Rinse and drain chickpeas and place in a bowl. Take a fork and mash the peas until half are mashed and half are whole. Mix with couscous, diced tomato and feta.
4. Put oil in frying pan and heat over med heat. Add onion and cook for 4 mins, add basil, stir, add spinach and cook until wilted. Add in the chick pea mixture and cook for a few mins til everything is mixed together and heated through.
5. Spoon couscous mixture into peppers evenly and serve while warm.
This makes 4 servings. Total time is 40 mins.